Friday, August 27, 2010

Open Source Project and Polished Stainless Steel Jewelry

A lot has been brewing in the Improbablecog sweatshops the last few weeks so here's a long update on it all.

First off, I launched a Kickstarter project about two weeks ago to fund the open source release of the Wing Earrings, Tendril Pendant, and Carapace Ring.
The project has reached it's goal, and in three days will end. At that point, the models for those pieces of jewelry will be uploaded to this site, Thingiverse, and will have their prices cut to just cost (no markup) at my Shapeways store. These pieces will then cost $10.20, $7.20, and between $4 and $7 (depending on ring size).

I would like to make the rest of my jewelry available through this open source model as well. For the next three days, you still have an opportunity to contribute to the Kickstarter project and release additional pieces. Once that ends, I will either be running another Kickstarter or using a different method to collect funding to release the other items. I will probably be doing 2-3 per month until every current item in my line is open sourced, and thereafter new items will be put up for funding once they are created. 

Once items are open sourced, I will be replacing them in my Etsy store with a premium line that have been hand polished and represent a significant amount of additional work to create beyond what you get if you buy the free version from the Shapeways shop. Keep in mind that if you want to, you can order the raw version to grind and polish yourself or finish in any way you see fit. However, buying it from me means that you don't have to hunch over a workbench for hours at a time to have shiny jewelry :)

Here are the first polished items, for your perusal. All of these can now be purchased from my Etsy store!











































































































1 comment:

Karred said...

This is an interesting concept, I hope your business model works for you!